Friday, January 10, 2014

10th Grade World History Days 3 and 4

The teacher I subbed for on Tuesday and Wednesday decided to stay at the hospital with his mom for the rest of the week, and asked me to continue subbing for his classes.

We talked on the phone to discuss what the students had accomplished, and what they could work on next. It was cool, because the teacher looked to me to help him decide what they should be doing.

I liked continuing with the same students again and that I already had a feel for how the classes functioned and who the students I needed to watch were. I was also able to be more personable because I started to get to know them.

Additionally, the school had me sub during the history teacher's prep period for a leadership class. This is a class I was a part of in high school, and the teacher has been a mentor to me since then. So it was very interesting to walk into that classroom and be in charge. Though, I'm glad I am familiar with the class, it would have been downright overwhelming if not... there are 70 students in it!

Kids Say the Darndest Things: 

Discussing an assignment for an English class
Student 1: We had to write a summary of the book, and all I wrote was the plot to White Chicks.
Student 2: What'd she [the teacher] say?
Student 1: Nothing. She just stamped it.

Student: Hey, Ms. Teacher Lady? Do you know who Pearl Jam is?
Me: More or less. They're a band from the 90s.
Student: *Talking to another student* See? I told you!

New Slang I Learned: "Turn Up" or "Turnt Up"
Basically, getting or being drunk/high and crazy.
The leadership class had a brief discussion about how it was important to act as role models, even on the internet, and posting pictures from New Year's holding up a bottle and tagging in with #TurnUp, was not appropriate (even if it was just a bottle of Martinelli's).

No comments:

Post a Comment