Monday, January 6, 2014

High School French

Last night I received my first call from the high school district's SubCaller, asking me if I could sub for a French teacher!

I hadn't expected to work on the first day back to school, and I assumed that the elementary/middle school district would be employing me more than the high school district, so I rushed around that evening to get ready. 

Today I walked into the office 20 minutes early, trying to be confident. The secretary gave me the paperwork I would need and explained that it was a full, 8 period day (the high schools in this district generally have days with periods 1-4 alternating with days of periods 5-8) and I would be running around a lot because the French teacher did not have her own classroom. While she got the (7!) keys I would need, I looked over the lesson plans. The regular teacher had provided me with excellent, extensive plans... for her French 2, 3, and 4 classes, periods 5-8. I asked the secretary about periods 1-4 and she didn't have any insight for me, but did tell me that periods 1-4 were French 1.

The teacher must have forgotten that it was a full day, so I had to improvise. She had included a movie, in case the students had finished their work before the period had ended, so the French 1 students watched the movie and were told to take notes on it. The other classes went as planned, but I shortened their workload to reflect the shorter periods. 

I didn't have too much trouble keeping the students quiet and on task. I was surprised and thankful that none of them commented that I looked too young to be a teacher, or asked me how old I am! 

Overall, it was an excellent first day as a substitute teacher. I think I can actually do this! 


Favorite Unusual Name of the Day: Die'Zhaun (pronounced  like DeShawn)

No comments:

Post a Comment